Size: 24” x 36”
By the late 1890s large canneries were being built on the Fraser River to salt and can the rich runs of salmon returning to their place of birth to spawn. The 854 mile long Fraser is known as the river of superlatives. It is the largest river in BC and the greatest salmon river in the world. It was first explored in 1793 by Sir Alexander Mackenzie, and in 1807 by Simon Fraser, who traced it from its source in the Rockies to its estuary on the Strait of Georgia.
Steveston was founded in 1880 and became one of the busiest fishing harbours in the world. The port, with its six hotels, busy saloons and gambling dens, hummed with activity. Some 15 canneries were in full operation in the early 20th century when large fleets of sailing ships, often numbering 15 at a time, converged on Steveston at the end of the season, mostly to load fish, which was invariably destined for Europe via Cape Horn.
Taxes, framing and shipping extra.