Size 24” x 36”
For many years, where conditions dictated such an alternative, lightships were used off the coast of British Columbia instead of lighthouses. The entrance to the Fraser River from Georgia Strait was once marked by the Sandheads lighthouse a wooden structure built in 1880 on six cast iron screw piles. The Sandheads was demolished in 1913 and replaced by a lightship, but this painting shows the early 20th century lighthouse with a tall ship sailing away from the river mouth. The light’s beacon would also lead small skiffs home after a long day’s fishing. The delta land is so low here that from a small boat it would be easy for fishing parties to become disoriented.
Taxes, framing and shipping extra.