Size 20” x 30”
This image is a higher price as there are only a few copies left.
By the late 1800’s the Fraser River had established itself as one of the world’s great salmon rivers. Canneries along the Steveston waterfront received, processed and shipped high quality salmon to world markets. Little is left now of the original cannery structures, however the Gulf of Georgia Cannery which dates from 1894 is now preserved as a National Historic Site and Museum. This image recreates the early days of the Canneries’ operation when Steveston saw great sailing ships loading their cargoes. Here we see barrels of salted salmon and boxes of canned salmon being loaded by the night shift. The ship will be towed out by steam tug on the morning tide bound for Cape Horn and European Ports.
Taxes, framing and shipping extra.